1) Make sure that the inside of your windshield is clean, dry and warm.
2) Remove the plastic "sticky tabs" from the mounting strips on the back of the transponder.
3) With the arrows of the transponder pointing up, place the transponder on the windshield at least one inch to the right of the center support of the rearview mirror and at least one inch below any tinted section. Firmly press the transponder against the glass for 15 seconds. You're done!
Note: some people do not install their transponder on the windshield and instead they hold it up while going through a toll booth. This is not recommended.
If the E-ZPass MA transponder was sent to you after you
created an online account, then you are done already; your account is active when you get the transponder.
But if you picked up the transponder from a "Sign Up Location" or used a paper form which was mailed in, then you may not have an account yet and probably need to create an account now.
The easiest method is to create an account through the ezdrivema.com website.
Or you can call (877) 627-7745.
The quickest way to get assistance is generally via the Customer Service page. Click on the "Chat is Available" button at the bottom of the page.
You generally need the the E-ZPass serial number and the activation code when setting up the account.
How do you know if your E-ZPass is activated?
- Drive through an E-ZPass lane on any Tollway ramp and if there is a blue or yellow light, your transponder is working.
- Drive through a cash lane and if the transponder is activated, the red (stop) light will turn green automatically. If not, no problem, you can pay the toll with cash.
Bottom line: The EZDRiveMA system is optimized to use by the E-ZPass transponder, but the E-ZPass transponder is not an absolute necessity. Even having an account is not absolutely necessary.
In some situations it makes sense to use the Pay By Plate system .
A quick note on terminology:
E-ZPass MA is the transponder.
EZDriveMA is the name of the program.