Click to go to the New York E-ZPass Guide Home Page
1) Make sure that the inside of your windshield is clean, dry and warm.
2) Remove the plastic "sticky tabs" from the mounting strips on the back of the transponder.
3) With the arrows of the transponder pointing up, place the transponder on the windshield at least one inch to the right of the center support of the rearview mirror and at least one inch below any tinted section. Firmly press the transponder against the glass for 15 seconds. You're done!
Official State Of New York instructions.
Note: some people do not install their transponder on the windshield and instead they hold it up while going through a toll booth. This is not recommended.
Note: if you bought your transponder online, it will
already be activated and you are already done!
Reason: if you bought your transponder online you will have been required to sign up for an account and when the signup process is complete the transponder will be activated. And then it's sent to you.
If you purchased your transponder from a retail location or toll plaza then you will not yet have signed up for an account and the device will not be activated.
In this case, follow these instructions below to activate it:
First locate the New York E-ZPass serial number and the activation number, and then
The New York E-ZPass serial number and the activation code are located on the activation sticker on your transponder (see below).The activation sticker is designed to be peeled off.
face (see below) has the
Serial Number on it.
Activation is required for transponders obtained at a retail location.
How do you know if your New York E-ZPass is activated?
- Drive through a New York E-ZPass lane on any Tollway ramp and if there is a blue or yellow light, your transponder is working.
- Drive through a cash lane and if the transponder is activated, the red (stop) light will turn green automatically. If not, no problem, you can pay the toll with cash.